Philanthropy in Nepal: looking at its rich culture of giving and ideas for reform
An enlightening & informative discussion with Rewati Raman Dhakal, founder of the Nepal Centre for Philanthropy and Development. With over 15 years of experience working with the Nepalese government, NGOs, INGOs (international non-governmental organisations), & UN agencies in Nepal, and South Asia, Rewati & Ruo Wu discussed in this podcast:
- the infrastructure of philanthropy in Nepal;
- the birth of Nepal Centre for Philanthropy and Development (https://ncpd.org.np/) & promoting the 3 ‘I’s (impact, input & integrity);
- challenges and opportunities in this sector;
- how the pandemic has shaped Philanthropy in Nepal;
- growth of digital giving;
- growth of CSR and role of Bank and financial Institutions;
- Rewati’s vision for reform;
- amazing charities such as ROKPA & Shree Mangal Dvip Boarding School: Education for Himalayan Children; and
- the phenomenal work of Nepal Red Cross Society (visiting www.nrcs.org), and celebrated Reading Lions Free Prostate PSA Test Event on the 15th January 2022 (https://www.therutherford.com/reading-lions-free-prostate-psa-test-event-2022/ ) & Dingley’s Promises’ annual gala event on the 5th March 2022 (Covid permitting).
Rewati is a founder of the Nepal Center for Philanthropy and Development (NCPD) and taking lead in creating an enabling environment for philanthropy in Nepal. He organizes national level conferences, trainings and workshops on philanthropy and fundraising to support philanthropic organization to become more sustainable and impactful in Nepal. Rewati is also a US Department of State’s International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) alum and country member of the Word wide Initiatives for Grantmaker Support (WINGS), and Asian Philanthropy Award. Dhakal is also a Country Leader of the Giving Tuesday Nepal and serves as a Board of Director of few charities which serves underprivileged, women survivor of the human trafficking and person with disabilities.
He has also successfully completed Certified Campaign Manager (CCM) and Certified Fund-Raising Specialist course in fundraising from the International Council of Non-Profit Management (ICNPM), USA. Currently, Rewati works as a Resource Mobilization Manager for the Nepal Red Cross Society and taking lead in making the flagship programs; blood transfusions, ambulance, first aid, volunteers’ mobilization and disaster response resilient and impactful.