News & Insights

Living and working in the EU after 1 January 2021

Imelda Reddington considers changes for UK nationals who want to live or work in Europe from 1 January 2021.

At the end of the transition period, the UK will leave the European Union.  If a UK national wants to continue to live and work in Europe, they need to ensure that they meet the requirements for that particular country.  Each country will differ in requirements, so it’s important to prepare ahead of January 2021, to ensure compliance with the rules of the country you reside.

Important general points to consider are:

  1. You may need to register or apply for residency.
  2. You may need healthcare insurance, as the EHIC will no longer be valid.
  3. You may need to exchange your driving licence for one issued in the country you live.
  4. If you move with pets, they will need a pet passport.
  5. Check that your professional qualifications are valid in the country you reside.

For full details on each of the European States, click on the country below.

Czech RepublicLatviaSlovenia

Please get in touch with Imelda Reddington [email protected] if you or your employees require assistance on remaining in Europe after Brexit.