UK Intellectual Property Office launches trademark pre-application service
On 28 October 2020 the UK Intellectual Property Office (“IPO”) launched a new trademark service aimed at helping individuals and businesses improve their chances of successfully registering a trade mark.
The pre-application service uses artificial intelligence and is particularly targeted at those who have not applied for a trademark before and have little or no knowledge of the application process. It has been designed around customer feedback received.
The tool features artificial intelligence and can be used to:
- Check if anyone already has a trade mark similar to the one the applicant wants.
- Identify whether aspects of the proposed trade mark are not appropriate, such as offensive words or protected symbols (for example, geographical indications).
- Identify the correct class of goods and services for the proposed trade mark.
- Gives an estimate of the application costs.
The tool however does not:
- Save any data that is inputted.
- Provide legal advice.
- Form part of the formal trade mark application process.
To access the tool, users should go to the first page of the trade mark application form on GOV.UK, select the first option ‘trade mark owner or the authorised person within their business’ and click ‘continue’. You will then be presented with the option to access the pre-application tool or continue with your trade mark application.
You will then be presented with the option to access the pre-application tool or continue with your trade mark application.
Despite some limitations, the tool should be helpful particularly for those unfamiliar with the trademark application service or seeking to register their mark without legal representation and advice. It is a good starting point and will help business and individuals with what can be a complicated process, but it should be noted that it is not a substitute for professional legal advice. If we can help with your trademark registration including checking for similar marks please do contact us and we will be able to provide detailed advice and assistance with your trademark application.